Thursday, 19 June 2014

Week 3: Construction Technical issues

We have been lectured on site analysis and location analysis. A building proposed or constructed shall consider many causes and resources. There is only few listed following:

-Old maps & usage: I found that Matilda Street area is used to be an industrial area but now mostly focus on business purpose.

-Condition of existing building, topography, rules, size etc.: determine the ways of construction; demolition or refurbishment. During the site visit, I found some crack lines, minor defects in ground and first floor; rectification works will be taken into account. Meanwhile, I found that the second floor condition is worst! As a Quantity Surveyor, I will allow more cost in renovation and refurbishment. 


-Potential risk: I found that flood was happened in Sheffield 10 years ago. It might be happened in the project site because river is nearby the site. The impacts of flood is causing damage on building, illness and sick. As I am Quantity Surveyor, I will study on annual rainfall and allow cost in Preliminaries to prevent it happened. Besides, the Engineer and Contractor shall responsible in deeper the trench, river and drain to prevent it happened. In the case of unfortunately, the risk can be transferred to insurance company to pay damages. 







No comments:

Post a Comment